Wednesday, February 27, 2008

My Only Comfort

Question: What is thy only comfort in life and death?

Answer: That I with body and soul, both in life and death, am not my own, but belong unto my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ.... ( Heidelberg Catechism for Lord's Day 1)

There are other comforts of course: friends, knowing you got everything done at the end of a work day, sleep, Motrin, knowing all the bills are paid, Family etc. But those comforts are temporary.

They all blow away. Solomon was right so much of life is vanity just striving after the wind. Everything we spend our whole life chasing: respect, money, women, even righteous things too like family, friends, hard work, and acheivements for good. They all pass away, and they all dissapoint as long term sources of comfort.

Isn't it true in the final analysis that the catechism is right? Meaning of course the Bible that the catechism is based on is right. Isn't this the greatest comfort? The one that holds you both in life and death.

The greatest comfort is to not be my own. To be a posession.

Actually everyone is a posession. Everyone belongs to someone. But who owns you is the most importnat thing in life. Those who think they are their own fool themselves. And what a sad state to imagine oneself to be in anyway: independence how dreadful and empty.

But to belong to someone if it is is someone wonderful ( and it is) is the greatest comfort. To know that I'm in his hands all the days of my life. To know I can not be taken out. To know he is a faithful wonderful friend. To know that I don't belong to myself or this world but to another.

I know myself I know what happens to my posessions they get broken, worn out, neglected, eaten or thrown away, But not my owner. He takes better care.

This is my comfort that I am a posession of Jesus Christ. He keeps me, holds me, molds me, he guides me and he will take me home.

The Disciples thought they had something great. That they had achieved something remarkable.

"Lord, even the demons are subject to us in your name!"And he said to them, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you. Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven" Luke 10:17-20.

Don't seek comfort in what you've done or will do. Your comfort should be this: Your names are on the inventory.

Last Summer my friend Harold died and for some reason his name seems to be coming up in conversation recently. This song was played at his funeral: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaM3wCMcHjA
comforting...

No comments: