Thursday, June 5, 2008

The SAK

Last Night my daughter had a Spring concert at her school. I was expecting a very boring evening. I suppose some parents actually enjoy these events. Not me. The place is always crowded. The show itself pushes an hour and a half and consists mostly of performances not including my daughter. When she does sing its with like a hundred other kids. Not my cup of tea.

Any how this one actually turned out to be pretty intersting Thanks to the Smart Alecky Kid.

I ended up spending most of the time outside of the Cafeteria in the courtyard talking to this kid. He's pretty interesting. He's an 8th grader, but his sister is a 3rd grader and he always has to help out at the school cuz his mom's on the PTA. He always has something smart alecky to say. The first time I encountered this young man was a couple of months back at Open House night. He was helping out by the cash register at the book fair. Penelope loves book fairs she's a total book worm. So we're in line and this smart alecky kid starts trying to hard sell Penelope on some sort of decorative pen. The exchange went something like this:

Smart Alecky kid to Penelope: come on buy it you know you want to.
My Smart Alecky ex wife: How do you know? maybe she doesn't have any money?
SAK: cuz Mom's behind her (in line).
Ex wife: How do you know? Maybe I don't have any money?
SAK : But Dad's behind her and Dad always has a credit card.
Me: What
SAK: Yeah you should let me borrow your card and give me the pin number. I'll give it back to you.

I don't recall if the pen was purchased. I know I didn't buy it. I never spend money at those things. But the conversation stuck out in my mind. It was the most surprising and entertaining part of my open house experience.

So fast forward to last night. This time lack of seating turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I had a program (which SAK handed me). Checking my program I realized there were like 10 or more songs before P sang again. So I was out like trout. Kicking it in the Courtyard. But still what to do with the time? Thats when I decided to start chatting with SAK.

Me: These things are pretty boring huh?

The conversation flowed smoothly from there. He was really easy to talk to cuz he's such a big mouth. We talked about how he doesn't fit in with other Junior Highers, Computer games, model rockets, classwork procrastination, and Family Guy(which I think is a very offensive show). I worked in some discussion of God, Christ & the Bible. He's not a Christian. Wasn't very interested. He told me that one time his cousins ( who apparently are pretty serious Christians) had him read a Bible Passage and he fell asleep. And one time he went to their church and got in trouble for accidentally slamming some other kid with a door while playing hide and seek.

Anyway I was pleased that I had an entertaining way to spend the time and got to at least mention Christ and reading the Bible to the SAK. I won't be surprised if our paths cross again.

No comments: