Thursday, February 24, 2011

Colossians Prayer

Sometimes when I read Paul's letters I try to figure out what he is teaching. I try to understand the doctrine he writes about in the passages. But recently when I read his letters I look more to learn from what his purpose and motives were. The single mindedness and passion that Paul exhibited are amazing. The Glory of God and the salvation and maturity of God's people was all he cared about. His expectation and hope were that Christ would be honored in his body (Phil 1:20). He cared so much for those he ministered to that he called them his joy and crown (Phil 4:1).

When I think about Paul and his heart for ministry it is evident how far I fall short. Maybe you've thought this as well. This deficiency struck me when I was reading Colossians last week. I know that what made Paul who he was was the powerful working of God. The same God that we, for Jesus' sake, have access to in prayer. So I put together this prayer which is mostly just an arrangement of parts of Colossians 1-2. The prayer focuses first on having a heart for ministry like Paul, and then praying for those we seek to minister to. I hope it is effective in your life and mine:

Thank you Father for mercifully qualifying me to share in the inheritance of the saints in light.

I desire to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to you, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.

Work in me Lord as you worked so powerfully in the Apostle Paul.

You gave such a heart and such strength to a former persecutor of the Church; to the chief of sinners. Give it also to me.

Lord I know that power and strength belong to you, and that the Lord Jesus has promised to be with us unto the end of the age with all authority for the discipling of the nations.

Make me, like Paul, toil and struggle with all my energy for the good of everyone and for the glory of your name.

By your glorious might strengthen me for all endurance and patience with joy.

Give me the words to warn and to teach in order to present those who I speak to mature in Christ.

May the hearts of those I seek to minister to be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God's mystery, which is Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

May no one take them captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, and not according to Christ.

Fill them in Christ in whom all the whole fullness of the deity dwells bodily.

In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments: