Friday, January 30, 2009

Christ cannot be weighed

I read this last night in "The Loveliness of Christ" by Samuel Rutherford:

"Convene all the lovers before your soul; and give them their leave, and strike hands with Christ, that thereafter there may be no happiness to you but Christ; no hunting for anything but Christ; no bed at night (when death cometh) but Christ; Christ, Christ, Christ, who but Christ? I know this much of Christ, he is not so ill to be found, not lordly over his love; woe had been my part part of it evermore, if Christ had made a dainty of himself to me; but God be thanked, I gave nothting for Christ; and now I protest, before mean and angels, Christ cannot be exchanged; Christ cannot be sold, Christ cannot be wieighed."

What an astonishing use of semi colons.

This what I think he meant in the parts that don't sound like English anymore (although I could be off):

"Convene all the lovers before your soul; and give them their leave":

Stop loving anything but Christ.

"he is not so ill to be found,":

Christ does not make himself hard to find.

"not lordly over his love":

Christ gives his love freely he doesn't guard it or keep it from anyone who seeks it.

"woe had been my part part of it evermore, if Christ had made a dainty of himself to me":

I would have been miserable forever if Christ had been more discriminating, and not given his love to me.

BTW: This is not a hard read. The Old English can be confusing, but you don't have to translate it page after page. There are just short passages. It is a selections from his letters. The longest of them are about your average paragraph. So you can read as much or little as you want.

I've found it beneficial. You have to keep the main thing the main thing as they say.

No comments: