Thursday, May 1, 2008

Do I have another Chia Head on my hands?


About 4 or 5 years ago at a Christmas Party there was a White Elephant gift exchange. I think this was before I started my own annual infamous Christmas Bash with its even more infamous White Elephant Gift exchange, (Which has been known to get violent) anyway. So at that Gift exchange I got a Chia head. I was pretty excited about the head. It seemed very simple (which is a must for any project I hope to complete). Also it seemed like the perfect thing for me to do/ decoration for me to have. I thought having it would just scream, " I'm a fundamentalist single Father but with a youthful wacky zainy side".
Unfortunately maybe me and the head were never meant to be. Because all these years later it's still sitting unopened in my closet. I never even took the plastic off.
I'm starting to think maybe this blog will go the way of the Chia head. I started out with such enthusiasm. This Blog was going to display all my greatest thoughts, goals, and aspirations. It was intended to demonstrate and define the new Simo. But alas I have falling short. I haven't posted anything in over three weeks. Even before that I was running out of material and unable to meet my goal of Posting at least twice a week.
Today though at least I have something to post about. I mean something besides the Chia Head Quagmire. Something not about the blog itself. Here she goes:
As a Christian there are something things I do that could be described as seeking the Lord or pressing into God or you could refer to these activities (if your a stuffy reformed person) as "means of grace". Some examples of these activities are praying, listening to sermons, reading the Bible, taking the Lord's Supper, reading devotional literature, and singing hymns.
One of the great things about this is sometimes I'll read, hear, or sing something that really hits the spiritual nail on the head. That relates to my own particular circumstance. But another thing I've come to realize and appreciate recently is that sometimes even if my battleship isn't sunk the experience brings clarity to what my battleship really is. Seeking God and exposing myself to some truth flushes out what my real problems are even if they aren't specifically named.
Like on one recent occasion I was reading Ezekiel or rather trying to read Ezekiel. I couldn't concentrate; my mind kept wandering. Then I figured out I was angry with someone. And that this was a big enough issue that it had to be dealt with. And then it was.
Now this may sound pretty obvious. But it is remarkable how self decieved us sinful humans can be. Its remarkably how long we can go around upset digging deeper and deeper holes without realizing, or being willing to realize and deal with what our real problems are. It is even more remarkable the way that the word of God and seeking first the kingdom break through this deception...
Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
That's all for now folks. Hopefully I'll have more to say in less than three weeks.

1 comment:

ramona said...

Thanks Simo. Even if you only blog every once in a while, you should still stick with it. Don't let your blog get stuck in the closet. Some people still read it! :) Besides, people don't usually get epiphanies twice a week, otherwise they wouldn't be special enough to be called that.